The connector standard is broadly divided into two categories.
- Specified standards for the connector itself
- Communication standard adopting standard connector and other standards
According to the standard that specifies the connector itself, there are specifications of connector specifications, and specifications up to connector specifications by communication standards.
Specification example defining connectors
- DIN 41612 standard
- DIN standards are defined by the German Institute for Standardization. There are a number of standards which specify connectors, with the DIN 41612 standard (board-to-board connector commonly referred to as a DIN connector) as the most widely known. Other standards also define round connectors.
- MIL-C-83503 standard
- MIL standards are defined by the U.S. Department of Defense. These standards also define standards for various connectors, but the most widely known is the MIL-C-83503 standard (a flat cable connector generally called a MIL connector).
- IEC 61076-4-101 standard
- IEC standards are international standards.
IEC 61076-4-101 is the standard specification for 2 mm pitch HM connectors.
- USB standard
- Although this is a communication standard called Universal Serial Bus, the connector itself is specified within the standard.
Other examples of communication standards that use standard connectors
- VME Bus standard
- The VME Bus (Versa Module Eurocard) standard is a communication standard for rack systems which uses the DIN 41612 connector.
- Compact PCI standard
- The Compact PCI standard is a 3U or 6U Eurocard based industrial computer standard.
It uses IEC 61076-4-101 standard HM connectors.
It has its own signal arrangement according to the Compact PCI standard, which does not match the terminal numbers of IEC 61076-4-101.
- RS-232C standard
- RS-232C (Recommended Standard 232 version C) is a standard from EIA, and the official name is TIA/EIA-232-E.
This standard is widely used to connect peripheral equipment such as modems and printers to COM ports, and 25 pole and 9 pole D sub connectors are often used for the terminals.